Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Chipolte Glazed Pork Chops with Black Beans & Rice

I was in the mood for something a little more adventurous. This is a typical Megan "recipe" in that I do not follow any recipe. I just throw stuff together and cook it and hope it comes out.

Looking back on previous posts it appears we've had a LOT of chicken lately, so I decided to try boneless pork chops tonight. I made a chipolte glaze using canned chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, honey and a bit of olive oil, in which I then dredged the chops.

I had to look up cooking time on the internet for this one, since I don't cook pork often. It appears 45-50 minutes should ensure these are cooked.

Black beans and rice is actually a meal I frequently made for myself in my single days. It's easy, filling and makes great lunches the next day.

I saute 1/2 an onion and a yellow pepper in some olive oil.

Drain and rinse a can of black beans. Add a can of petite diced tomatoes. Normally I would season with some cumin and chili powder, but I remembered that I had used 1/2 a packet of taco seasoning earlier in the week, so now was a perfect opportunity  to use the other half.

I let that simmer as the chops cook. I cooked the rice. I love Uncle Ben's boil in the bag because I have failed rice too many times and this is pretty much fool-proof.

I chopped up some fresh green onions and cilantro to top it off.

I also like a little sour cream on mine. YUMMMY!
I wasn't sure how the beans and rice would go over with Alex. He has issues with some textures as well as with the appearance of food, but, he said he liked it. "Pretty good, Babes" is  about as good as it gets, so I'll take it!

1 comment: